Coorg is one of popular hill stations in South India. It is also called as Madekeri located in Karnataka, popularly known as Scotland of India. The beautiful paddy fields, scenic view places, coffee plantations and adventurous activities together make this place beautiful in Karnataka state.
How to reach Coorg135 km from Mangalore which is nearest Airport and 95 km from Mysore junction, nearest Railway station.
Best season to visit CoorgEven though it's a hill station, Coorg is best after monsoon season, October - February. then we can see coffee beans too.
Best StayThere are many hotels and lodges but home stays in coffee plantations or staying in coffee estates is awesome experience. There are many things, we must not miss lot of greenery to relax and trek, best views of Brahmagiri and Pushpagiri hills, waterfalls to wet you, temples to get spiritually inspire, fort to explore, Dubare elephant camp to experience a live bathing program for big elephants, the golden temple to get peace of mind.
Here is the list of top 5 things to do in Coorg
- Trekking to Pushpagiri hills and Mandal patti view point jeep safari
- Abbey falls
- Talakaveri, Bhagamandala and Triveni sangam
- Dubare elephant camp
- Golden temple in Bylakupe
1. Mandalpatti view point jeep safari and trek to Pushpagiri hillsIn coorg town there is a Mandalpatti view Jeep safari point, from there one can go view point and trek. Around 20 km journey in 45 minutes is worth while passing through mist and clouds. Early morning view before sunset is really like dreamland 1600 m above sea level. Mandalpatti in local language means a Cloud Market. Mandalpatti is beautiful hill peak view with combination of green grass landscapes and valleys. Watching Breathtaking mist cloud view is amazing experience that tourist must not miss. Pushpagiri wild life sanctuary adds a special importance to this place. In return visit picturesque Kote Abbey falls.
Best season to visit : October and November months for misty clouds over hills.
2. Abbey fallsThis beautiful water falls plunges down from 70 feet high hill area. Abbey falls is mesmerising beautiful tourist spot in Coorg. It is surrounded with lush green coffee plantations. In monsoon the water flow is really high, that looks like a milk flow. One should trek down around 250 steps to enjoy charming waterfall view.
Post monsoon season October - February is the best time to visit this waterfall.
3. Talakaveri, Bhagamandala and Triveni sangamIt's located 48 Km from Madekeri. At foot hills of Brahmagiri hills Talakaveri is scenic and spiritual place to visit. It is birth place of river Kaveri at 1300 m height above sea level. After climbing few steps, there is square temple tank that is constructed by Kodavas. Devotees take a dip here, before this holy tank there is Kaveri Amman idol. This water flows underground and comes as kaveri river after some distance.
Above this tank there are lord Shiva and Ganesh temples This is really peaceful place with surrounded by nature all around. There is Brahmagiri view point. The endless western ghats with green shades gives spectacular view.
4. Dubare Elephant CampIt is Another interesting place in Kushalanagar, 17 km from Coorg. This is Karnataka forest camp where over 150 elephants are present. This is must experience for elephant lover in you. After crossing river kaveri one can reach this place. There is elephant bathing program where you can make big elephants to bath on the bank of river Kaveri. Kids really love this place. Going near to these animals and making them to bath is memorable experience.
5. Golden Temple CoorgNamdroling monastery is located in Bylakuppe which is beautiful Buddhist temple. Inside monastery there are three 46 feet height golden idols named Guru Padmasambhava, Buddha Sakyamuni and Amitayus. After Dharmashala this is second largest Tibetan settlement in India. This place attracts many tourists every year. During religious rituals we can watch many number of Buddhist monks in prayer hall, which is really excited site. Interacting with monks and watching their life style really gives spiritual inspiration to us. You can pray for a while for inner piece.
Finally don't forget to shop few special things from Coorg.
Coorg is famous for best coffee beans, homemade Chocolates and wine, Organic Spices and dry fruits. Don't forget to shop at Kushalanagar flea market.